4.02.2011

Egg on Your Face: Egg Dyeing and other fun

Egg decorating is an old tradition found in many cultures worldwide.  In South Africa, archeologists have rescued 60,000 year old ostrich eggshells adorned with decorative markings.
Scientific American

Keep this long-standing artistic tradition alive this Spring.
 You can create this cool plaid effect using strips of tape and several colors of dye.  I started with this tutorial from Martha Stewart, which recommends adhesive vinyl for stenciling.  Instead I tried out some stickers and tapes I had on hand.  None of the stickers I tried stuck very well, but I had success with strips of blue painters tape.
1. Cut lots of strips of tape about one centimeter wide.
2. Prepare all your dyes using your preferred method.
3. Wrap eggs  with several strips of tape and then dip into first color of dye.
4. After the amount of time suggested in the dyeing instructions, take the eggs out of the first color and allow them to dry a little on a cooling rack or other raised surface.
5. Unwrap strips of tape from egg to reveal blank white lines.  Wrap new strips in the opposite direction.
6. Dip eggs into second color. Repeat drying process after appropriate dyeing time.
7. Unwrap tape and reveal plaid eggs!
When your real eggs are all done, decorate virtual eggs with the Incredible Easter Egg Designer at IncredibleEgg.org.
After all the decorating enjoy a good rabbit story or a great Easter egg book, and mark your spot with an Egghead bookmark from Issa at TipJunkie.
Print out the page of nine unique markers, cut around the tongues or teeth, and enjoy an egg-cellent story.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

What a gorgeous post! I love the pictures and the story behind why we dye eggs. Thank you so much for sharing such great information!

Kathy
www.KidCulture.wordpress.com

librarianism said...

Thanks so much, Kathy! I'm glad you stopped by!!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

Thanks for a great idea on dying eggs - something new to me!

I'm featuring this on my 2 dozen ideas and techniques to dye Easter Eggs today!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

Jeanne @The Noodle Factory said...

Love these plaid eggs (and the back story of egg dying). I'm going to try these tonight with my boys.