1.01.2013

Year in Review - Free Printable

2012 was a challenging year for a lot of people (including myself), and I've heard quite a few folks say that they're glad to see it go.  Looking back on difficulties and setbacks led many of us to experience some blue moments during the final weeks of the year.  Spending the darkest days of the year listening to news about senseless deaths, impending financial collapse, and potential apocalypse is enough to leave anyone with a bleak outlook.  But, ladies and gentlemen, we made it! 

The first day of the new year always gives me a renewed sense of optimism.  It reminds me that during thousands of winters before now, people have worried and wondered if warmth and light and happiness will ever return, and each and every time, spring did come!  The beginning of the new year is the perfect time to celebrate successes from the last 365 days and to make a new plan for things that aren't working.  Since my approach to pretty much everything starts with making a list, I decided to create a form that would help me record accomplishments and happy memories from last year.

I looked over the goals I wrote last January and flipped through photos of the year to remind myself of all the exciting milestones and memories that happened amidst 2012's daily challenges, and I started writing.
Before I knew it, the little blue boxes were overflowing with all the special things that happened this year.  Listing all those good moments helped me feel capable, optimistic, and brave enough to begin setting goals for 2013, so I added a section to the back of the form for this purpose. 

For teachers, this halfway point in the school year is a great opportunity to reflect on what is going well, both professionally and personally, and to look for ways to improve areas that have been sources of negativity during the first semester.   Likewise, kids should be taught how to make reflection a part of their own quests for self-improvement.  To help you and your students begin recording last year's successes and planning the ones you'll work on this year, you can get as many copies as you need of this print-and-fold form HERE.  (In the preview, the colors look a little funny, but everything smooths out once you download the pdf).  You can refer to the goals form throughout the year in order to stay focused on what you want to achieve, and then this time next year you can look back at how far you've come.

For more ideas and printables for new year's goal-setting check out this article from last year.

Happy New Year!
 

No comments: